The ALAMA Autumn Conference Venue
Oulton Hall, Rothwell Lane, Oulton, Leeds, LS26 8HN
Oulton Hall is one of the loveliest four star hotels in Yorkshire, situated just outside of Leeds. Within this grand 18th century setting, the hotel has a state-of-the-art spa, well-equipped health club, beautifully landscaped gardens and a drawing room.
This 18th-century mansion and has an award-winning cuisine, a spa, and a 27-hole championship golf complex in its grounds. There is free WiFi, free parking, and Leeds Train Station is 5 miles away.
All the bedrooms have a flat-screen TV with cable and some Sky channels and facilities for making tea and coffee.
Have a look at the website, you may decide to stay on after the conference to enjoy the Spa, Golf or just stay for afternoon tea!
Oulton Hall History
Oulton Hall was originally a "modest eighteenth-century house" owned by the Blayds family. In 1807 the house was left to John Calverley, who was a partner in Beckett's Bank and Mayor of Leeds in 1798. He changed his name to Blayds in order to inherit the property, but his descendants reverted to Calverley. He enclosed the surrounding common in 1809, and it was landscaped to designs by Humphrey Repton soon afterwards. In around 1822, he commissioned Sir Robert Smirke to remodel the house, and it was enlarged by Smirke's brother, Sydney, in 1839. In 1850 a fire destroyed much of the property, including most of the Smirkes' work. The Leeds firm of Perkin and Backhouse rebuilt the hall, and further work was done in 1875 by Perkin and Sons and in 1885 by Chorley and Cannon of Leeds.
The hall had various uses during the 20th century. In the First World War it was used as a hospital and convalescent home for wounded soldiers, and in 1925 the hall and grounds were sold to the county council. After the owners left in the 1930s the house was requisitioned by the military during the Second World War. It was used it as a mental hospital until 1971. Oulton Hall then changed hands, but due to the lack of resources of the new owner it fell into disrepair, and in 1974 it was derelict. In 1991 De Vere Hotels acquired the lease and rescued it. Restoration and expansion cost £20 million to turn the hall into a hotel set in an estate of 300 acres (1.2 km2), with gardens, a 27-hole golf course and a spa.
Location and how to get there
Rothwell Lane, Oulton, Leeds, LS26 8HN
Telephone: 0113 282 1000
Website: Oulton Hall.
Directions by Car
Oulton Hall is easy to find from the M1 and A1. From the M1 take junction 42 for the M62 towards Hull. Leave at junction 30 and follow the signs toward Rothwell. Then follow the sign which says "Oulton 1 mile", taking the first exit at the next 2 roundabouts. The hotel is on your left. From the A1 South, take junction for the M62 towards Leeds and leave at junction 30. Then follow the signs to Rothwell and Oulton as above. From the A1 North, follow the A1/M1 link road towards Leeds and take junction 44. Turn left at the top of the slip road and follow the A639 to the roundabout. Turn right at the roundabout and the hotel is on your left.
Oulton Hall is 5 miles from Leeds Station.
Leeds / Bradford airport is 15 miles away.